Mini Excavator Qualifications Training
Time: 2 hours class, 2 hr. hands on Maximum Class Size: 12 Prerequisites: None
- OSHA 29 CFR Part 1926.600, 602 (a) Subpart O-Materials Handling, Motor Vehicles & Mechanized Equipment
- OSHA 29 CFR Part 1926.1000 Subpart O-Rollover Protective Structures; Overhead Protection
- OSHA 29 CFR Part 1926 Subpart P-Excavations
- Cal/OSHA Subchapter 4, Article 10-Haulage & Earth Moving Equipment: 1590-1596
Course Description: Working safely and efficiently is the primary focus of the Mini Excavator course. Knowledge is one of the key ingredients in developing safe work practices. Mini Excavators are used extensively in the field. This course reviews the step-by-step basics of how the Mini Excavator functions. Participants will identify all components and systems of the Mini Excavators. They will then receive hands-on training in the connecting and disconnecting of attachments as well as the safe start-up, driving and shut- down of the Mini Excavator.
Goals/Objectives/Student Learning Outcomes:
- Discuss the uses of the Mini Excavator in the construction industry.
- Identify all components, systems and controls of the Mini Excavator.
- Correctly perform a start-up check: Check for leaks; check oil, hydraulic fluid, water level, hoses, tension on belts and tracks.
- Identify uses for each attachment.
- Correctly change attachments.
- Identify potential safety issues on the jobsite when using a Mini Excavator.
- Start up the Mini Excavator.
- Safely drive the Mini Excavator where directed.
- Successfully maneuver forward and reverse direction through layout of cones.
- Dig a trench the depth of the bucket with it is standing on the teeth.
- Place the soil from the trench a distance of the bucket and pile the soil.
- Backfill the trench and compact it using the bucket.
- Safely park the Mini Excavator where directed.
- Perform shut down procedure.
- Properly load, secure and unload equipment using a Utility Trailer.
Classroom Rules and Procedures
- Class will consist of a combination of lecture, video, demonstration, coached group exercises, individual exercises and assessment.
- Photographs of various types of Excavators
- Hand Signals Hand-out
- Mini Excavator Safety Hand-out
- Mini Excavator PowerPoint
- Mini Excavator System Functions Hand-out for Note Taking
- Hands-on Evaluation Form
- Cat or New Holland Mini Excavator • Attachments
To receive credit for the course, participants must:
- Be present for full four hours
- Participate in all classroom exercises
- Pass a written exam
- Pass a hands-on exam
Assessment and Grading
Participants will be assessed on the following:
- All written exams must be passed with a score of 80% or above.
- All hands-on exercises are graded on performance and participation. They are pass/fail and must be passed with a score of 80% or above.
Failure to maintain and use PPE may result in dismissal from the course.
Online SELA website, Scheduled On-site Class, Program Package purchase.
SELA training conforms to OSHA CBT Training standards and ANSI Z490.1-2009. Criteria for Accepted Practices in Safety, Health and Environmental Training. SELA Safety Council LLC. follows all ANSI training criteria’s.
SELA Safety Council LLC Copyright© 2017 All rights Reserved